Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Weekend Paperback Pick Up : 7/04/10

1. Y The Last Man vol.2 'Cycles' vertigo comics - written by Bryan K Vaughan  art: Pia Guerra
Since I didnt write anything on vol.1 Ill just do an overall commentary so far.

Spoiler Alert !
So after the landscape of the book was laid out in volume 1 , I had my ideas on what would happen so forth.

    They built themselves a little "Wizard of Oz" crew which is a prerequisite for any good adventure story. You have the naive yet outspoken protagonist , Yorrick  , you have the brave protector in 355 , then you have the brains and morality in Dr. Mann .. and of course Ampersand the capuccin monkey.

     They had me for a sec when 355 cracked her head from the jump , I thought she was dead! , when Dr. Mann woke up and they showed 355 in a pool of blood with her head cracked open on a rock. I thought OH SNAP!  she survived but was incapacitated for the remainder of the volume ..though they did hint she might be developing feelings for Yorrick .

     I admit I was a aloof when it came to Maryville , didnt occur to me until Sonia confessed to Yorrick they were convicts. They hinted towards this secret to the town and I didnt have any ideas. Btw fyi I would bone Sonia faster than the speed of light. Anyhoos , Yorrick caught me off guard on his reaction to the news esp because they were becoming intimate just prior . He was much more authoritarian about it than I imagined.

   Again I was surprised when fricken Hero showed up at the house.. the Daughters of the Amazon caught up! the Amazonians and the convicts have a standoff over Yorrick . The convicts stood by Yorrik even after Yorrick blasted the convicts and Victoria making a strong  speech. Leading to an all out battle royale? I was on the edge of my seat...

   It didnt manifest like I hoped. Yorrick faced his sister and enemies face to face by himself. I was very surprised on how abrupt Victoria's character came to an end , they were building her up as a nauseating antagonist. Yorrick disheartened by his sister's betrayal kneeled to Victoria as she prepares to execute him. Victoria's end came at the hands of Sonia  , an axe to the skull ! faptastic!.. which in turn Hero retaliated Legolas style with an arrow to the heart of Sonia. It was over like that. The action sequences in Y The Last Man arent its strong points nor should it be.

      The most shocking element of volume II was the confrontation between Hero and Yorrick. Just like Yorrik thought I didnt think Hero was fully brainwashed  but she is. Now after the showdown and meltdown it looks like Hero will be the tragic villain to oppose Yorrick for the upcoming volume(s). We will see...

 Spoiler Over!

    Bryan K Vaughan really grabs your attention right from the first page with the cop pointing the gun at her head then with the whole countdown and it only picks up. A story of a guy and his monkey trekking across the map looking for his family and girlfriend.. sounds awesome right? oh yeah he and his monkey are the last two male animals on earth. Take a wild guess what kind of crazy shit they get themselves into.

     Im not crazy about Pia Guerra's art. I dont like how he makes everybody looks alike and overall character designs were blech. He doesnt know how to draw an asian woman , I had no idea Dr. Mann was asian until they actually mentioned it. His demo sketch looked better for Dr. Mann (they included some of Guerra's sektch work as a bonus). Guerra isnt horrible and he complimented Vaughan fair enough , but it could've been better and/or just not my cup a tea I guess.

    When you read Y The Last Man the bottom line you will be captivated , humored , intrigued , infuriated ,...etc which to me equals awesome entertainment. 

recommend: Yes. Adventurous sci-fi with suspense , humor and overall entertaining.

noob friendly:  Like all series , start from the beginning. Its a 10 volume series in TPB form. .

price/value: Great value. I recommend highly buying the TPB online, you'll save a bundle. $15-16 cover price but you can get them at $11-12 from Amazon.ca. Free shipping over $40.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot