Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

New Comic Day: 6/30/10

Last week I only picked up 1 title , I was only going to pick up 1 this week but its 'new comic book day' and I want me some comic books to read so I decided to pick up a few more including the highly anticipated Wonder Woman #600 , Death of Dracula #1 , and Secret Avengers #2.

1. Wonder Woman #600 DC comics - Dont worry NO SPOILERS ! 


First let me state that I am not a diehard WW fan , I dont collect her comics and dont know everything about her. I think she's fricken epic and Im always up for some narley harsh wicked Wonder Woman comics. #600 is a collaboration of short stories by various teams of writers , artists , inkers, editors...

introduction by Lynda Carter

story 1:  Valedictorian by Gail Simone , art: George Perez
 I liked this best I think. It was one of those "was that good and I dont know it or was it bad and I cant tell" kinda episodes .
story 2: Fuzzy Logic by Amanda Conner
 Conner does both the writing and the art. I liked this one least , the story with Power Girl and WW was too girly , I thought WW was going to tell her what brand on tampon to pick up.
story 3: Firepower by Louise Simonson , art: Eduardo Pamsica
 Superman makes his appearance to help battle Nikos Aegeus , this one totally felt like an episode of Super Friends but with awesome art. It was a fun chapter.
story 4: Sensational Wonder Woman by Geoff Johns , art: Scott Kolins
I liked the art style here for this particular spot  , not sure how I'd feel if an entire series was done like this. Story was a little hokey but thats what these anniversary issues are about. Celebrate the legend.
story 5: Main: Couture Shock by J. Michael Straczynski , art: Don Kramer. 
The concluding story is the main story arc that will continue forward. This is where we see Wonder Woman's new look in action. Really nice action sequences and ok start to a era of WW. 601 will be very interesting.
    DC did a good job with their big three anniversary issues (BM700 , SM700). They were good reads with lots of goodies, if I didnt baby my comics I would  love these 3 issues as bathroom reads! I felt WW600 was the best of the three. As a casual fan and reader of WW comics , I really enjoyed the variety of stories , the different art styles , writing styles , the various pin ups of the princess of bad ass; Which leads to the "controversial"  new look:

My review on costume: 1.5/5. Blehs: Jacket look is dated and boring for the legend , black leggings is blasphomy and the new tiara is just not gay enough. Mehs: Body suit is ok but is it an improvement? , the  battle bracers are alright too. Hell Yeahs: she looks good in a fight dressed like Debbie Gibson.

my favourite pin up:by Greg Horn

Recommend: Yes. Pick this up and enjoy an old school style comic book read.Tons of fun.

Noob friendly: Yes. This is a perfect jumping on point if you want to join in on a new Wonder Woman run. There's no actual #599 .. they ended vol.3 (#44 is the 599th WW comic) and are returning back to vol.1 , its a reload for a new era.

Price/Value: 4.99/ Solid value. John Travolta may disagree that there's  $5 comic books worth its tag but gawd damn!  this one comes close.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Death of Dracula #1 ( written: V. Girschler , art:G.Camuncolli) MARVEL comics- No Spoilers
 This is the prelude to the upcoming X-men #1  that will depict a major war between the X-Men and vampires.

This is the story of Lord of the Vampires , Dracula , his sons Janus and Xavus and the sect of vampires he rules over. Basically members of the vampire elite council , its like a mob meeting except with different groups and species of vampires including Dracula's sons Janus and Xarus , the latter whom feels Dracula is holding back their potential to rule earth. Unknowing to Janus a contingent of sects led by Xarus plan a coup to overthrow Dracula and take the vampire empire into a new world.

Its setting up the whole vampires vs mutants war. Shit Im not a vampire guy but I liked it , Im interested in the whole Marvel world of vampires now. They set it up pretty cool.

recommend: yes if you plan on collecting the new X-Men series. Its also a decent read for a stand alone 2 part series.

noob friendly: yes. This is the beginning of an epic 6-10 month story arc so jump on board now if mutants vs vampires intrigues you.

price/value: 3.99/ It was a full 48 pages , good read , I would say definitely a $4 comic , good value.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Secret Avengers #2 (writer: Brubaker , art: Deodato) MARVEL comics - No Spoilers 
Another solid issue of Secret Avengers. Simply put this series is easily fullfilling my 4 issue trial.. Im fully imbersed into this arc.

The team is on Mars looking for NOVA whom wasnt responding from his recon mission. The team does some digging literally and discovers a little more to the whereabouts to their serpent crown and Nova.

What can I say? Im liking this oddball mash up of Avengers. Moonknight , Black Widow , Valkerie , Nova , Steve Rogers , Beast , War Machine , Ant Man. THey go to Mars to start some shit , they run into some bad mother fuckers ... Im having a good time. I anxiously wait for #3..

recommend: Yes. Its a espionage superhero series , currently in space , action ,...etc

noob friendly: If you start from #1 it is. If I could only recommend one title for somebody looking to get into the Avengers , Secret Avengers would be one of the titles. 

price/value: 3.99/ O.K. value I guess. All Im saying is Secret Six is a $3 comic and thats as good if not better than the Avengers. $4 comics can at least be 40+ pages.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot