Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Weekend Paperback Pick up: 6/27/10 part I

Wednesday is new comic day , and I like to read my graphic novels on the weekend  so I figure Ill blog trade paperbacks on the weekend and new comic book pick ups on wednesday. I picked up a few titles at Haggle Day at Metropolis Comics (Walking Dead v.5-6 , Y The Last Man v.3) but I only read 1....


1. The Walking Dead vol.5 ' The Best Defence' TPB

SPOILER ALERT!

Wow. After a somewhat subdued vol.4 only after a chaotic vol.3 , Kirkland kicks up the intensity a few notches again. It starts out from where we left off , some in house drama and lingering feelings , everybody going on with every day life at the prison. Rick and Glenn spot a crashing helicopter , so they with Michionne decide to recon the crash site. They get there , problem is somebody beat them to the survivors and it wasnt zombies.

They trek to the nearest town and discover a small colony of survivors  run by a seemingly level headed nice guy named "Governor".. this turns 360 almost immediately as he doesnt waste time after leading the three into a private room , he gets to the point to telling the three that they will be zombie food for their colony's entertainment.
From here the reader along with the characters suddenly forget all the shit problems they had with each other and realize how fucking bad it could really be. Glenn sitting in his cell repeating himself " I wanna go home , I wanna go home".. he wasnt even part of the fucking problem back at home. Goddamn.

We learn a little more about the governor , that his daughter has zombied up and he now has to feed her human remains while caring for her like things were "normal". He also has an odd collection of "living" zombie heads that he just sits and stares at for entertainment. You also see how the colony treats the Governor as their protector and friend , they look up to him like everybody use to with Rick. Gives a little understanding of The Governor but doesnt change my desire to cut off his balls and face rape him with a crobar. Fuck I hate this guy.

Fuck twat shit cuntrod. This guy just pissed me off like I havent been this pissed in awhile. The asshole cuts off Ricks' right hand , rapes the shit out of Michionne and beats Glenn for pleasure though I thought some weird banjo deliverance scene was on the horizon. This guy is just a fucking pyscho asshole clearly lossed it.
We do get introduced to seemingly a new character that of course is the colony doctor whom despises the Governor too. This character's role appears a little predictable. Here's my guess before I read on: Doc will help Rick escape while Gov and crew go to attack prison.. they overthrow remaining guard and scurry to the prison to help. Big battle.. many characters killed , Rick and co arrive to turn the tide of the battle.. .Michionne gets her revenge on Governor with brutal slaying. Prison defence is down , ruining safe haven , ... Rick's group has to regroup and move on again... End of prediction.

Great little scene at the end to fuck with my mind when they had Tyreese wear the riot gear after making you think it was Glenn. Fucker. Now , Im fucking on the edge of my seat waiting for vol.6 which I will attend to sunday night caz I fucking need to know...

SPOILER OVER! 

Since I didnt review volumes. 1-4 Ill just make a general comment on the series thus far.


I picked up Walking Dead vol.1 for 10 bucks , recommended to me by many critics but specifically two horror fans whom called this "the greatest zombie story every told". I had to check this out. 


I was hooked and sinkered after volume.1 by volume.2-3 Im 100% invested into Rick Grimes and everybody in his life at this point. Amazing experience. I really care about all the characters and the relationships between each. By volume.3  I am heart broken , ecstatic , stunned with all the ups and downs of this magnificent story. 

Tony Moore draw and create the original , Charlie Adlard took over since and Adlard hasnt skipped a beat. Its penciled in black & white , it captures the mood and tone of the book better than if it was colour.


The question most asked is " what makes this different from other zombie stories?" .. its the focus on the characters and their relationships. The heart of the book isnt the zombies nor the action , its the humanity and where its going , how much is left , does it even exist. You realize that the biggest monsters in a world of monsters are humans themselves.

Im not even a zombie fanboy but I am for this series , this didnt disappoint at all. Amazing and I cant wait to keep going. 


recommend: hells yeaz!! its survivor horror , drama , zombies ... best zombie story ever told.


noob friendly: yes , preferably if you start from beginning .. and its worth it to start from day 1. 


series: on going , current 6/26/10: vol.12 tpb , #73 comics
  
prices/value:  Excellent value , I highly recommend buying online from Amazon.ca , you'll save a bundle on TPB/HCs





No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot