Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Weekend Paperback Pick up: 6/27/10 part II

UPDATED:I just read...

 Walking Dead vol.6 'This Sorrow Life' by Kirkland , Adlard 
SPOILER ALERT!
After last issue I was distraught , angry , frustrated , ... Kirkland was pulling my emotional strings like the good puppet I've become. 

When Governor offered Michonne to fight in the pit with her own sword back I just knew she was gonna off the other guy's head and she did like a ripe melon. I wasnt sure where they go with it after that but  they tackled her and subdued her again back to her cell. Fuck but damn that felt good for Mich.

One of Governor's body guards , Martinez , comes to rescue Rick with the help of Glenn. I thought the doctor was going to be the one who breaks Rick out but I also was expecting this scenario too. Glenn , Rick , Martinez and Alice 'the nurse' go rescue Michonne next. Martinez is leading the way .. and this whole escape is going easy...too easy.You can kind of smell whats happening but like the survivors you rely on hope.

They go get the Doctor and they make their escape... except for Michonne whom cant leave until she gets her payback. The group carries forward  ,just outside the compound the Doc immediately gets taken out by zombies. Wasnt expecting the doc to get it here.. I thought he would make it back to the prison. 
Back to Michonne... best payback EVER. This is what I was waiting for with giddy eyes!

So after having to endure 4 days of brutalized rape , Michonne went to pay Governor a visit and boy did she ever. Adlard pencilled this scene slow and methodical just like Michonne was planning on mutilating , torturing and brutalizing Governor. She had her way with him in horrid , bloodshed of carnage beyond anybody's warped imagination. By the time his guards came , he was left in a pool of blood missing limbs , eyeball , tortured beyond recognition but when she left he was still alive techinically and so was his zombie daughter.

Michonne caught back up with Rick and co heading back to the prison , I wasnt expecting this scene.. the prison over run by zombies again. The court yards full , the fence wide open , ..nobody in sight. Turns out everybody except Otis was ok they were all hiding , they had to clean out the prison again.. so a couple pages of good ol Zombie stomping. I was a little suprised that they killed Otis without prominence , felt like they were building him up for some kind of betrayal on Tyreese , Michonne .. with his racism.
After a few days Rick notices Martinez had disappeared and this was the other scenario I suspected .. the planted mole. He was to locate the prison , recon Rick's colony. Rick in an instinctive surge he went after him in the RV , found him and rammed him  with the RV. Rick confronts the paralyzed and dying Martinez. They argue their cases which turns out to be the same case.. survival for yourself at all cost. Rick discovers he has become a product of the world they now reside in... a killing machine , all to protect he and his family at all cost and its not even on his conscience. One of the themes Kirkland deals with .. the loss of humanity , where it goes or how it evolves... Rick Grimes is now a shadow of the guy whom appeared in the first page of volume.1.

It ends with Rick dealing with the before mentioned self realization talking to Lori. Then Rick calling for an emergency meeting with everybody to notify that this other colony will be coming someday and will be heavily armed. .. to be continued.
SPOILER OVER!

That was everything I was wanting and expecting... I am one happy camper now. Everything is back to normal in Walking Dead universe.

The pacing of the last two volumes was high intensity , I was on the edge my seat throughout.. I cant tell you how many shout out loud moments I had. Though the story arc is still left open for down the road the short end of this story arc was mind copulatingly awesome with a side order of Oh Hell Yeah!

The story arcs are getting more intense by the volume and the consequences are getting bigger.

recommend purchase:  buy this series online from Amazon.ca , much cheaper than buying from a store. 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot