Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Thursday, July 15, 2010

New Comic Day: 7/14/10 part 2

  1. Chew #12 (Image) by John Layman , art by Robert Guillory

Excellent. Part 2/5 of the current arc , superb issue. This isnt a jumping on point , go buy Chew vol.1 TPB to see if you like it. If you do.. then catch up caz its so worth it.

This is argubaly my favourite comic book right now.

2. Hack Slash #2/4 (Image) by Tim Seeley , art by Daniel Leister
unavailable at the moment. My store had part of their shipment damaged including my one copy of Hack Slash.. warped the spine. Im the only guy who suscribes at my store. Nobody else has it either , I checked out a bunch of shops. Frak.*UPDATED .. finally came in today 8/3/10

Lets just say keep pulling this mini series , its faptastic.. in more ways than one!! seriously , I cant wait for the new on going series in the Fall and I cant wait for the new printings of the Omnibus's .. where have you been all my life Cassie Slash?!

3. Birds of Prey #3 (DC) by Gail Simone , art by Ed Benes

Strong issue. part 3/4 story arc with the mystery woman in white. You will be left hanging by the edge of your seat. If you bought into #1 , 2.. this is a MUST HAVE.

4. Mystery Society #1-2/5 IDW  by Steve Niles  art by Fiona Staples
Premise: Nick Hammond and Anastasia Collins are the Mystery Society and bring new meaning to "underground cult" status! Stealthily avoiding the authorities, this skullduggery duo spend their time and money righting wrongs committed in the world’s underbellies

Fantastic sleeper hit. I found this by fluke  as I was looking through some back issues  I saw this catchy cover from IDW Mystery Society #1 , never heard of it. Picked it up on a whim... wow. Faptastically fun. The next day I picked up #2 which came out this week too coincidentally.

Will I get #3? : Im on board 100%

If I had $10 does this make the pull? Its a contender in a tough week.

price/value: 3.99 .. this new refreshing story distracts me that its a $4 comic. Its decent.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
additional comments for the week:
I've decided to drop some major titles from my pull list. Too many comics Im into and so many more I want to get into. I had to make en executive decision and the truth of the matter is Im more into the non supehero books. Oddly I picked up zero Marvel titles and cleared out 4 Marvel titles off my pull list. Remaining Marvel pull list: Avengers , Secret Avengers , Scarlet , Young Allies , Atlas , Black Widow

Thanos Imperative - this is actually getting rave reviews but Im just not into it right now. Trade paperback perhaps.

New Avegers -  Too much of the same.


Avengers Academy - numbers game , I have to cut down , I want variety in my pull list. Too many Avengers titles and already pulling Young Allies.

X-Men - Mutants vs Vampires ... I still might flip flop on this dependant on how #2 goes but I still dont find myself excited at all for X Men books.

 Marvel you were shutout this week off my pull. Next Week Expected Pull : Avengers #3 , Atlas #3 , Black WIdow #4 , Zatanna #3(DC) , Neonomicon #1 (Avatar Press) , Traquility #1 (DC)

I still might drop Atlas from my pull.. see how it goes.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot