Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

New Comic Day:7/28/10

A decent week for some new titles: Time Bomb#1/3 , Scourge #0 , Artifacts#1/13 , WonderWoman #601 , I also picked up Alan Moore's Courtyard the prequel to Neonomicon.

1. Artifacts #1 (Top Cow) by Ron Marz 
premise: A spinoff of Witchblade , Artifacts is your everyday '13 ancient items and the 13th is the most powerful and some mysterious deadly force is trying to combine them all' type of comic. Some hand picked guardians are to prevent this evil being from obtaining it , anti hero is seeking redemption , so on and so on ..  the good ol formula : boobs+blooding fights+ancient shit= cool comic.

me: Now , I havent read Witchblade yet but I didnt feel horribly out of place reading this , it would definitely help but I wasnt left in the bog with my pants down.

Will I be getting #2?: yes , though the plot is cliched its still fun to watch it play out.

If I had $10 does this make the pull? Yes.

price/value: 3.99 ... It was good value , again Im extra critical of the $4 comic , you have to knock my socks off.

2. Time Bomb #1/3 (Radical) by 

premise: Current day world discovers a hidden underground city beneath Berlin , built by Hitler as a fallout bunker. Inside they discover the Nazi's doomsday device and accidentally detonate it... the world is doomed. The only chance is time travel back and try to stop this day from happening and since they dont have a Delorean they time travel under the theory of a missing scientist whom developed the "Time Bomb Effect"....

me: I was compelled and intrigued generally. I felt the general concept of a hidden nazi city beneath Berlin was brilliant , I actually felt the time travel idea took away from it.. but maybe they get more into the city in the next issues.

Will I buy #2-3?: Yes

If i had $10 do I buy this?: tough caz this is a $5 book.. but its good. This is a weak week , its a contender.

price/value: 4.99 .. If Im critical of a $4 book , so Im a soup nazi with $5 books. No ads , not until the last page , you get 50+pages... by the end of the day I dont think I'd rather spend that $5 any other way so it was solid value.

3. The SCourge #0 (Aspen) by 

premise: Very similar to zombie and vampire horrors except replace them with gargoyles. You have a bad boy cop fighting to survive this chaos and yet figure out the mystery of this plague. This plague is spreading by... you guessed it! bites and scratches .. if you can sense my cynicism then you can sense how I felt about the book in general.

Me: It was issue #0 which are basically mini prequels to the real story arcs. Its a little cliched , the main character seems cookie cutter as well , not sure if this series will stand out in any way. I havent been "hooked" yet.

Will I buy #1? maybe. If its a weak week.

If I had 10 bucks do I buy? I dont think so.

price/value? 2.50 ... poor value. Im sorry but for 12 page prequels things , these should be 1 dollar books. 2.50!?! when I was done I was thinking about other books I should've picked up.


4. Wonder Woman #601 (DC) by
more to come




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
commentary:
So its official ,Im dropping all Avenger titles. Irony. I got back into comics because of the Avengers and now Im ditching them all. Im just so into the indy stuff now and finding myself less and less interested in the conventional superhero mumbo jumbo. Not to say I dont need my super hero fix , you need balance and variety in your pull list. Avengers just aint cutting it for me right now.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot