Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

New Comic Day: 7/14/10 part 1



Crazy awesome day for comics. First and mostly my Walkind Dead came in the mail today!!! Im ready to fully catch up with the Walking Dead! now but Ill vlog tomorrow about Walking Dead. Onto the comics.. there were a crap load of  new series I picked up. Lady Robotika #1 , Widow Warriors #1 , Chtlulhu Chronicles #1 , Sixth Gun #1-2 , Stuff The Legend #1 ..also back issues I wont review ; Mystery Society #1 (IDW) , Zatanna #1 (DC). Tomorrow I will blog about Chew #12 , Hack Slash #2 , Birds of Prey.

1. Lady Robotika #1/3 Image by Jane Wiedlin and Bill Morrison
Premise: An Alien civilization obsessed with 80s popculture kidnaps Jane Wiedlin to perform a rock concert for his majesty.

Sounds crazy good? still does but the execution is a little sloppy. Im willing to cut Jane a break , its her first comic book ? Bill Morrison formerly from The Simpsons so you can get a sense of the style involved.

Will I get #2? I dont think I will unfortunately.

If I only had $10 does this make the pull? no.

price/value? $3.50 ... its a fun book , not sure why this book is more expensive than Chew , Walking Dead ,  and Turf. Hard to justify in comparison. I want to really like it caz Jane Wiedlin is one of the sweetest rock stars ever. Im finding it really hard to recommend this book


2. Cthulhu Chronicles Calling #1 Boom by Michael Nelson , art by Johanna Stokes
Premise: supernatural horror series with a decidedly modern spin from superstar writing team Michael Alan Nelson and Johanna Stokes! A cruise ship comes to port, hundreds are aboard dead - but why? Clayton Diggs is a pharmaceuticals salesman who discovers his sister has committed herself to an insane asylum; she's checked herself in, fearing she'll hurt herself or someone else.

This shit picks up half way through , I was getting a little nervous that I made a bad call on this pull but it came through towards the end to hook me like a pea brained trout. 

*edit UPDATE I read it again. Wow. Its a solid solid premiere issue. Absolute hidden gem. 

will I get #2? Yes , started  slow but ended really strong.

If I had $10 does this make the pull? It would be a yes in any other week. Very tough week to compete in.

price/value: 2.99 ... it was a solid debut issue. First issues are always difficult but this finishes strong and left me hanging .. mission accomplished.

3. Widow Warrriors #1 Dynamite by Pat Lee , Loyld Chao

premise: For generations, one fiercely-patriotic clan of warriors - the 'Yang' - battled bravely in the nation's defense. The widows of the clan pleaded with the Emperor, whose own court had become weakened by corruption and greed, to send reinforcements. But none came. Soon, the last remaining Yang soldiers were overwhelmed by a sea of bloodthirsty invaders.

Distraught and incensed, the Yang widows - a few hundred strong and many of whom also seasoned warriors - took arms and set off to the western border to kill the new king.

This totally reminded me of an 80s cantonese show from Hong Kong my parents use to watch and it was one of the few shows I liked. " Women Warriors"

will I get #2: yes. I still have hope the pace and depth will pick up.

If I had $10 does this make my pull?: no.

price/value: 3.99 .. I have to be more critical for $4 comics , higher expectations. It laid the groundwork for a promising series but fell a little short overall.

4. The Sixth Gun #1-2/6 Oni Press by Cullen Bunn , art by Bryan Hurt
 The Premise: Imagine Lord of the Rings in the wild west and exchange the rings with guns. 6 mystical guns were created , the 6th being th emost powerful... finds it way into a preachers' daughter's innocent hands. Now she is being hunted by the guns original owner and his horde of undead.

Outlaws , undead armys , crazed zombie general , a magic gun , ... fuck this shit just got real!

Will I get #3?: uhh hell yeah. What the hell is going to happen!?

If I had $10 does this make the pull?: Very tough week for competition.. definitely  contenders.

price/value: 3.99 .. #1 was originally released on Free Comic Book Day but I wasnt around for that so I had to pay for this one. One of the better $4 comics.

5. Stuff the Legend: The Jungle vol.2 part 1 Th3rd World Studios by Mike Raicht , Brian Smith , art by Charles Paul Wilson III
 Premise: think Toy Story + Wizard of Oz + Lord of the Rings + Toy Soldiers + Muppet Babies.... what does it =... fricken amazement. Its in much more grittier ,darker tone than some of the titles mentioned.

If I had this as a kid my brain would explode from the overload of imagination and creativity. 


will I get #2? fuck yeah , ill be pissed off if I dont.

If I had $10 does this make the pull? easily.. pick up of the week. Beautiful beautiful comic.

price/value: $4.50.. zero ads , its a beautiful comic. Story is awesome , art is amazing.. I cant imagine spending that $5 any way else. Seriously.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot