Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cartoonsday: Green Lantern : First Flight

Green Lantern First Flight
release: July 28 2009
written by: Alan Burnett , Michael Allen
studio: Warner Bros animation

First Ill do Spoilers then general commentary: I must say I am a novice Lantern fan. I only read Green Lantern Rebirth thus far.. I have very little knowledge of Green Lantern.

Spoiler Alert!

   I really liked the gritty edge to this show ... characters die!!! which is always a plus in my books. The betrayal by Boodikka was completely unexpected by me! I must be slipping.. I was genuinely shocked and suprised!!! just a great twist.

   They did a fantastic intro to Sinestro , showing his downfall into the evil sinister villian we know him as. The creation of the yellow lantern.. very epic. You really get a sense how colossal their battle was with the light show they put on in space with all the guardians and lanterns watching on with their fate at hand . 

    The whole Green Lantern corps is very reminiscent of the Jedi Knights in Star Wars , there's a high coucil , and the Lanterns are the guardians of the universe.. Sinestro conspires to over throw the Council to dictate a new order. The investigation of the Lanterns was very Star Wars prequel like as well.

The action sequences were great! the tunnel chase was magnificant this is where many Lanterns bite it. So intense , high paced , great hero shot for Hal Green to emerge. This movie only endorses green love for the Lanterns , its must see.

Spoiler Over

     This is the re-telling of the origin story for Hal Green's Green Lantern and the Green Lantern Corps. Hal Green is given the ring of a dying Abin Sir , the Lantern Corps investigate his death which turns out to be a murder. Green Lantern learns the ropes from the elite Lantern of them all... Sinestro. Its a great movie for old schoolers and noobs.. it may feel dumb down for the old timers at the same time some material might fly over noobs' heads... nothing that great action and drama cant compensate for. With the live action movie coming up this is a great time to educate yourself into the Green Lantern lore and this movie will have you covered.


In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power... Green Lantern's light!

Rating: 8.5/10 ... the only reason I dont give it a 9 ... it was only 74 minutes minutes... they could've pushed it to 90 minutes and added more depth to support characters.

Recommend: Yes , very highly for all ages. Though characters die its not graphic.. kids can easily watch .. give me a break , you cant shelter kids from death. If you're going to get into the live action movie educate yourself in the Green Lantern lore.

Buy it/Rent it/Bury it: For Superhero geeks ...Buy it. This should be owned in one way or another. Its a great superhero animated movie.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot