Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Underground online for free

http://www.undergroundthecomic.com/2010/10/whole-book-for-free-or-learning-something-from-4chan/

Image comic's The Underground by Jeff Parker , art: Steve Leiber is available digitally online for free. I've been wanting to check this out ever since Blair Butler recommended this on Fresh Ink last spring.


Plot: I wish I could say its The Descent meets Die Hard caz that would make my underpants explode but its not A local wealthy businessman wants to boost the local economy for their small town in Appalache Kentucky by turning a natural attraction , a cave with an intricate tunnel system into a tourist attraction. He secretly hires some shady characters to prep the cave by illegally blowing up parts of it. Local park rangers in charge of this area investigate  cross paths with these shady men and begins a chase thriller through the caves.


Me: I enjoyed it. There were no null moments in this nor does it get borish , Parker has a nice touch with the pacing in this story. The villians arent as "evil" as you would want them to be in any action thriller , you need the antagonist whether its human , beast or supernatural to stir up the hate juice a little.

   The art is a tad inconsistant to my liking , Leiber does his best work in the caves with the monotone shadowing and tight action sequences. I found the above ground panels to look a like vintage art from the 50s. Parker pieces together a solid , formulaic thriller that doesnt disappoint in the end. If you want a change up from your regular pull , this is well worth checking out. Especially now that its free online!


Verdict Buy/Borrow/Bury: Its a. Borrow. If you want to purchase , it goes for 11-13 bucks on  Amazon or Heavy Ink if you look hard enough. It is a cool book to lend out for the same reasons you would want to read it yourself.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot