Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

New Comic Book Day: 10/20/10

Solid day today except I still havent recieved my Hack Slash #4!!! its been over a month over due!

Vertigo Resurrected #1 , Turf #3 , Morning Glories #3 , Cthlulhu Chronicles: The Calling #4 , Sixth Gun #5 ,

new titles: Kick Ass 2: Balls to the Walls #1

1. Cthlulhu Chronicles #4/4(boom) by

    The conclusion to this mini series. It ended good , but this issue also suffered from poor edit cuts , you can tell this comic was cut short or just editted down heavily from its original length. I paid $16 for this series , would I recommend this as a trade for the same price? I dont think so. Unless you're a Cthulhu collector , I would say its a borrow at best , no need to own this.

     I found the characters forgettable because they lacked depth and affinity with each other , common traits for a 4 issue mini series. The story starts out solid and there's some good thing that happen but they happen to far from between.The art is very good , some of the panels are laid out very well to bring some terror to the pages but again that happens too infrequently. In the end I found this series to fall short of my recommendation.

2. Morning Glories #3(image) by Nick Spencer , art: Joe Eisma
     Excellent issue.This arc further entangles the reader deeper into its web of "Oh No you did'ent". The panels just come to life at times , the story moves  fluently with Esima's sharp pencil work. The expressions of frustration , anger , fear are exuberant . They continue to baffle you with a situatin and hook your mind with the unravelling.  For three straight issues they leave you with a ass slappin cliff hanger.

    Simply put , Im not going anywhere , Im in for the ride and want to see this through...

3. Sixth Gun #5(oni press) by

    Superb and I was ecstatic to discover this is a 7+ issue series , I thought it was a 5 issue mini but I know there's #7 for subscription... YAY. This issue is straight out of Lord of the Rings:The Two  Towers , and leaves you with that as a cliffhanger.. sorry that was a bit of a spoiler but who cares its worth it. This is one of the great series flying under the radar if you like westerns and the undead this was manufactured for you to swallow whole and shit out jelly beans. I can already say I recommend to check this out as a trade!...

4. Kick Ass 2 #1(icon) By Marl Millar , art: John Romita Jr.

      Kick Ass 2 starts out very well as Mark Millar would. Highly recommend you read Kick Ass volume 1 before starting , this isnt a great jumping on point. I wouldnt just rely on the movie either , the comic differs slightly in various areas.

     There's nothing out of character in this new run , so KA fans will love this too. Its.... wait for it.... KICK ASS. Kick Ass is being trained by Hit Girl as the war between good and evil rises , Kick Ass seeks out to fullfill his dream to form a team like the Avengers or Justice League. This sets up a fun volume...

5. Vertigo Resurrected #1:(one shot)
PICK OF THE WEEK. In a very tough week this book doesnt exactly live up to its reputation nor hype but its still a fantastic read from front to back.

I say it doesnt live up to the bad ass hype because this was "banned" for the title story of Shoot.. its really not that big of a deal. None of the stories are anything that hasnt been already printed in comics so whats the big hub bub?!?! This was a collaboration of shorts that fit perfectly to the Twilight Zone , Tales of the Crypt , Hitchcock Presents , Strange Tales , ... this would have made my anus explode of lollipops and gumballs if this was a full length graphic novel and the stories were full 20+ pages long , a bunch of 1 shots. It still works fine , this felt like the neverending comic book , everytime I finished a story there was another ! and I could believe my eyes when I felt there were no more pages to be had there was still one more story waiting to be read.. amazing. Nothing individually is shoot your load all over the tv awesome but collectively its pretty sweet.

9 short stories from various writers and artist:

Shoot by Ellis , art:P Jimenez , A Lanning

The Kapas by B. Bolland

Native Tongue by B. Azzarello , art: E. Ribic

New Toys by G. Morrison , art: F. Quietly

Nosh and Barry and Eddie and Joe by Garth Ennis , art: Jim Lee

Diagnosis by T. Seagle , art: T. Sale

The Death of a Romantic by P. Milligan , art: E. Risso

It takes a Village by B. Willingham

Resolve by

6. Turf #3(image) by  , art: Tommy Lee Edwards
       There was a bloody long wait between #2 and #3 , I have no idea why the 3 month hiccup but it finally came out. The back cover and front cover dont even match ! just to show this was a little rushed. But it picks up where we left off and the pace goes up a few notches as we move along.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot