Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

New Comic Book Day : 10/13/10

Slow day: Hack Slash Muder Messiah but I still havent got my goddamn My First Maniac #4!!!! , Warlord of Mars #1 , Superior #1

1. Superior #1 (icon) by Mark Millar art: Leinil Yu

   Kick Ass's Mark Millar kicks off a new series on the eve of the release of Kick Ass 2 , a new Icon series titled 'Superior'.


  plot/premise: A lonely kid with multiple sclerosis gets visited  by a mysterious talking space monkey during the night and gets granted one magical wish...


  me: It was typical Millar , straight to the point delievered with purpose. I was hooked the moment I realized the opening sequence was from a movie that the kid was watching and this was going in a different direction I anticipated.

  verdict: Pick of the week in a weak week , but this would've stood out in a good week too. Its Mark Millar , there's a handful of writers that bat 1.000 and Millar is one of them.

2. Hack Slash Murder Messiah (image) by Tim Seeley
   We are getting ever so close to the new on going series , this annual and one more next month and then we get to Cassie Hack full time!

  This is apparently the unreleased issues #33 and #34 of the IDP series.I havent caught up completely so I feel my review is incomplete. That said this was a fantastic balls to the walls issue tracking back and forth between two story arcs 15 years apart that are connected hand in hand. Once you figure out where Seeley is going you are hooked and glued to this. Perfect halloween comic.

Verdict: Hack Slash has to shit the bed pretty bad for me not to enjoy , this was fantastic.. a $6 price tag for a double sized issue was a little steep but it was a enjoyable book.

3. Warlord of Mars #1 (dynamite) by Arvid Nelson art: S. Sadowski , A.Lucas , cover: Alex Ross

   Another reboot project from Dynamite. They like taking old classic series and pumping life back into it , this was a buck debut issue so I thought I give'er a go.

   the plot:
story 1:  end of the civil war , confederate captain John Carter is now without an army and job with the South defeated. Looking for work , Carter sets out for gold in the southwest where he runs into some Union soldiers and Carter's story ensues...

story 2: On mars , a native green martian warrior Tars Tarkas  rescues his kind from the clutches of the White Apes ...

  me: Sadly the comic was as brief as my plot summary. Two short stories to introduce the characters , story and lore of WoM. Not enough comic to do this , both stories fell increidbly short , the cover of the comic is completely misleading caz John Carter is nowhere near to getting to Mars.I appreciate the buck price tag but I would've been happier with a $4 price tag and a double sized 48 page debut issue. (on a side note I wonder if Dynamite and IDW will follow Marvel and DC with the 2.99 flat rate)

  All that said , Im not giving up nor dropping this , Im just saying there wasnt enough and thats a good thing. Sadowski's art is very solid , the action sequences were smooth , character designs were good considering he's rebooting established identities. Same with the writing , all in all its a solid debut.

  verdict: lots of promise , Im definitely curious to see how #2 goes but Im not exactly waiting on the edge of my seat for this.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot