Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

New Comic Book Day : 8/25/10

Vagina Days of Summer
Another slow day: Black Widow #5 , Wonder Woman #602


1 Black Widow #5 (marvel) by Marjorie Lui , art : Daniel Acuna

    The conclusion to the 5 issue arc " The Black Rose" came to a conclusion. It was a good arc overall , but I felt this final issue was missing something. It felt rushed and heavily editted down to fit the 24 page deadline. Definitely should've been a 40 pager at the least , give Marjorie Liu a proper send off on this series. Daniel Acuna's art was so immaculate and stunning in this arc , soft colours , striking imagery , it all meshed with Lui's writing so well.

   SPOILERS:
     I didnt like how she escaped from the chair. They built it up to a point where I was thinking "how the fuck is she going to get out of this one?".. turns out , lights go out and she disapears from the chair... MAGIC! of whatever. Part of the great cliff hanger along with being locked into the chair was the Bucky America arrest of Black Widow.. then in this one , it was blown over with little explanation in either it was a rouse or a misunderstanding.. I had to re-read it to see if I missed something. Again hence why I felt it was rushed , not enough detail and commentary. 
 SPOILERS OVER

   Marjorie Lui is leaving Black Widow now , Im not sure who's taking over but Ill be sticking around. Even though she's a Secret Avenger and associated heavily with the Marvel universe I really like the non super powered -super hero- espionage kind of stories. Black Widow is as deep and mysterious as Wolverine , this is one of Marvel's underrated new on going series and I hope the new guy doesnt drop the ball on this.

Next issue is a new arc so perfect for a jumping on point for noobs. 

2. Wonder Woman #602(dc) by J.M.Straczynski art: D. Kramer , E. Pansisca

   I completely understand that old school Wonder Woman fans arent too thrilled about the current arc. I get it , I feel the same way about stuff Im old school about.. but since Im not an old school WW comic fan , this is a spectacular story so far.

  They're taking Diana back to her roots and reinventing her before our eyes and kickstarting the next phase of her life. Im still bleh about the costume , I may not have read her comics but I know enough of her to appreciate the classic outfit. Its the red boots , Id be less gay about this if she had the red boots. They've leveled her down a bit , she cant fly , she doesnt have the Superman like strength but she's still pretty bad ass.

     Anyhoo.. so her home has been trashed and the Amazons are on the run , WW has come back as the savior. She needs to rediscover her roots and discover herself.. she's like a person whom drifted so far away from her family and needs to re-establish her background   In the mean time she kicks some serious ass , and reminds us that her new look hasnt softened her core up at all. She's still the baddest amazon on the face of the planet.

  Ill be adding to my pull.



-----------------------------------

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot