Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

New Comic Book Day : 9/1/10

Its already september , summer went fast!

decent day: Scarlet #2 , I Zombie #5 , Secret Six #25 , Sixth Gun #3(2 weeks delayed)  , Fathom Blue Descent #1

1. Scarlet #2(marvel) by BM Bendis , art : A. Maleev

    First and foremost , Alex Maleev's art is worth this book alone , I am not kidding. Its beautiful. The story is nothing new , but its done in a different perspective breaking the 4th wall via Ferris Bueller except instead of pissing off Cameron Scarlet wants blood and justice! ahh to be a teen again.

    I have more tolerance for a brand new series that has to introduce new characters , new stories and such so Im not going to be too happy or too harsh until the series establishes itself. I like where this is going and its not where I thought it was going exactly but we're not there just yet but this is definitely worth to jump on board with.

verdict: Stick with it.

2. Secret Six #25(dc) by Gail Simone , art: J. Calafiore

   Hooray! the start of a new arc! after two single shot issues , Gail Simone finally has the Six back onto a 4 part arc. This is a tad on the XMen's Savage Land with a hidden world of dinosaurs and such but what idea isnt re-used in any medium *looking at you modern music*.

  the plot: Team B , a make shift team being trained by Bane is hired to execute a secret plan in this world , something you dont find out until the last page. Im starting to like King Shark more and more btw.
Team A , is a little dysfunctional to start , Catman is having some personal issues but anyhoo team A is hired by another agency to eliminate team B for again..secret reasons.

me: I love Secret Six , this is another fun , high paced , balls to the wall issue setting up a potential blood bath arc. literally 5 hours ago I didnt care one shit about King Shark  , now Im rooting for this guy , he's already blew passed Shazam and ROM on the all time comic book characters lists. If he gets more page time and banter he might move ahead of Sgt Rock and Jughead.

verdict: Im in for the long haul.

3. I Zombie #5(vertigo) by C. Roberson art: M. Allred
  The 5 issue arc is over and it was enjoyable. The art really grew on me as it went along now , I wasnt thrilled with Allred when I started this but now I cant imagine this series without Allred pencilling it.

   This is a very nice end to the arc though ironically and I cant believe Im going to say this but I didnt see a need to go 5 issues to get to where they wanted to get with Gwen. I guess Im happy they did. The foundation was laid , we now know who she is and what this series is about... lets get our eyes dirty and get on with some deeper stories!

verdict: stick with it. 

4. Fathom Blue Descent #1(aspen)  by:    art:
    I dont think I'll be continuing this series. I cant justify my reasons I simply didnt get into it.The art is sweet though.

5. Sixth Gun #3(oni press) by  art: Cullen Bunn , art: Brian Hurtt   

   Very solid issue to the 5 part series.A very underrated series. Imagine Lord of the Rings in the wild west , 6 magical guns created with the 6th being the most powerful , the 6xth owner hunted down the first 5 and destroyed them to make his the only one. The original owner , a crazed general was assisinated and a new owner took its mantle , a preacher. The preacher has passed the gun to his daughter and she now carries the burden of the gun , the general has awoken from death to reclaim what is his.... fun times ensues...

     I like to think of Bunn and Hurtt as the poorman's Layman and Guillory connection. They go really well together and they compliment each other. Not at the same level as Chew's dynamic duo but regardless Bunn and Hurtt have a great name calling at the least.

verdict: If you're lucky to get #1 on FCBD then finishing this series is a "Paris Hilton" or a no brainer. I had to buy my #1 and its easily worth it still. Lets finish this baby.

------------------------------

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot