Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

New Comic Book Day : 9/8/10

Today's Pull: Cthulhu Chronicles #3 , Widow Warriors #2 , Sixth Gun #4 , Scooby Doo Where are you #1

1. The Calling: The Cthulhu Chronicles #3 (boom) by J. Stokes art: C. Possenti

     I've been mixed on this series. It started really well then lagged a little , this issue brought it back on track but I felt it under minded itself at times. Because its a comic book , details have to be rushed , the whole mid section of this issue felt so rushed , you lose all the urgency , intensity and vibe of it. Its almost over , 1 issue left so Ill finish this but Im not sure if Im feeling like a Cthulhu fan.
         The art is fine esp the various cover art  , I think the stuff Im not feeling good about is story related. The publisher shoudl've perhaps made this a 5 issue series... it just feels like somebody ripped out parts of the book.
 Verdict: Its a $4 comic and right now its hard for me to keep a straight face and tell you this is a must buy. Definitely wait for the trade at best and save some bucks even it redeems itself in the final issue.

2. The Sixth Gun #4(oni press) by C. Bunn  , art: B.Hurtt
    Almost finished. Lots of fun. I dont what else to say but its darn toot'n awesome!
     The crazed zombie general and his crew of freaks closes in on the girl whom possesses the crazy one's sixth gun  , we find out more about the "guardian" looking after the girl , lots of shit happens that makes me giggle and clap like a trained seal.
      I dont want to spoil anything for noobs , caz if this far into this like me , I dont need to tell you how bed wettingly enjoyable this has been.  Ill give an overall review when this finishes but this is a must read when it comes out in trade.

    Verdict: Unless this series shits the bed in the final issue this is definitely worth checking out in trade. Its a $3.50 comic , its decent value.

3. Widow Warriors #2 (dynamite) by L. Chao & C. Chi-Long art: Pat Lee
   This was a good issue that built off #1. There's a lot going on in this story , Im glad its on going caz a mini series would've never worked with so many characters to cover. It still feels parts are missing and things arent coherent but thats to be expected at this stage of a new series. Give it 4-5 issues to establish itself.


    The story itself , we get more in depth as the women cross into enemy territory looking for the rival king whom slained their husbands , brothers and sons hence the title. The king tests the women using sorcery and henchmen to oppose their trek. In one dramatic scene the women begin to hallucinate about the lost men and trouble ensues...
 
The art and mood of this book is unreal.
   Eventually the king sends one of his henchmen whom brings a big mother fucking wolf bird to the fight(see cover). We get stome face stabbing , spear chucking , throat ripping violence which is always a good thing for this genre.

  Verdict: I have different expectations for different prices , and this is a $4 comic. To be brutally honest I havent wet myself yet during this series but I havent wanted to wipe my ass with is either. If you're not feeling confident about this series , definitely wait for the first trade and see how it looks completed. Myself , Im slightly nostalgically biased towards this because it reminds me of a tv show I use to watch with my parents as a kid called "Women Warriors".

4. Scooby Doo #1 (dc) by Scott Gross , art: Scott Gross                                                                       :

   I had really had a good time with this. First and foremost the gang comes to British Columbia! they came to vacation in the Okanagon and get mixed up with Ogopogo. It was insanely short , it was two short stories.. the second was a short one on Shaggy trying to shave his beard , ends up being an ode to all the catch phrases used in the endings like " I would've gotten away it if it werent for those nosey kids and that screwy dog!".

 Verdict:  Im a softy when it comes to Scooby Doo , Ill be picking this up whenever I can. I would've enjoyed this comic more if it wasnt for those meddling kids. If you got $3 to burn in your pocket , you're a Scooby Doo fan and you like reading comics then this is your day!!!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot