Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Special Tuesday Comic edition : HeavyInk reviewed

My first shipment from HeavyInk arrived , here's a quick review for Heavy Ink ...


If you dont want to watch my review , here's a quick overview...
The Pros-
  • cheap shipping. For standard shipping to Canada its 2.50 for 3+ comics or 1+ graphic novel. Only a buck if you're in the states.
  • 20% off cover prices for all new comics
  • no taxes
  • dollar for dollar exchange rate , not even comic shops in Canada offer this.. we get some bullshit exchange rate despite a 95+cent dollar.
  • they have a good selection of new comics and in stock too. Easy to deal with staff , they'll answer your questions pronto. 
The Cons-
  • Their standard shipping can take anywhere between 7-21 days with postal service. No tracking option. Though they have faster shipping options for more money.
  • They dont offer bags and boards for extra security for comics though mine were mint and the packaging is pretty solid , the books are wrapped in brown paper to reduce friction.

Conclusion: I highly recommend HeavyInk to my fellow Vancouver comic book geeks needing to pick up some recent back issues or suscribe to new issues. Ill say again , its cheaper to buy online from this place 4000 miles away in Massachusetts than it is to walk 5 blocks to a local comic shop. Have some patience and  faith in Cliff Claven to get the job done but your comics will get there. 

My purchase: Here's cut and paste of my bill
* Hack Slash My First Maniac #2 ($2.80)
  * I Zombie #2 ($2.39)
  * Mindfield #1 ($2.39)
  * Secret Six #19 ($2.39)
  * Zombies Vs Cheerleaders #1 ($3.19)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
  Subtotal: $13.16
       Tax: $0.00
  Shipping: $2.49
     Total: $15.65
---------------------------------------------------------------------
 
$15.65 was charged to your credit card.

The savings are ridiculous eh? works out to be $3.12 for each comic.

I will only review one comic caz the rest I can do as an updated series review like for Mindfield Ill review it as a #0-2 package , Secret Six #19-22 , Hack Slash #1-4 , IZombie #4 comes out tomorrow so Ill give an updated review tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Zombies vs Cheerleaders #1 (Moonstone) by Steven Franks , art by various artist

premise: the title says it all. A zombie outbreak in a highschool and cheerleaders along with their shady principal are the last survivors... ensue the bloodshed...

me: Premise sounds fun and cant miss comic ecstasy? I was rather disappointed with the lack of cheerleader vs zombie action , that encounter was barely 2 pages and it was brief and quick. They didnt make use of the artist and the concept of this cheezy title. In a deep market of zombie comics this will get lost and buried in about.. what were we talking about?

Will I get #2?: probably not but Im always open for redemption.

If I had $10 does this make the pull?: No.

Value/price: 3.99.. I paid 3.20 and still felt a little gypped. Definitely not a $4 comic , it would be bleh at $3.. this should've been a 2.50 comic. With online discounts consumers should've really only paid $2 for this.
-----------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot