Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Thursday, August 5, 2010

New Comic Book Day: 8/4/10 part 2

Here are the continuing issues I picked up yesterday....

1. I Zombie #4 (Vertigo) by Chris Roberson , art: Michael Allred

   This series really picked up in this issue , so many gaps were filled , this was a pivotal issue. Individually each issue seems to awkwardly move at its own pace but collectively everything pieces together smoothly. For the art its like Chew where Robert Guillory's art was looked over to start by many but it grew on you as does Allred's penciling. I wasnt too keen on the art when I first indulged into this but it grew on me though I always felt it suited the genre and title. I really enjoy the ambiance of the book , the campy retro feel of it and it doesnt lose its whimsical allure. We finally get a sense on what the fuck is happening with everybody's role and what direction we're headed not that it detracted from the comics before. The lead character Gwen is making me a necrophiliac for fuck sakes.

Am I still on for the ride?: Yes.

does this make my $10 pull?: I think it does , its a contender in a tough week.

value/price: 2.99 .. its a good book. Esp if you're looking for some variety in your pull. Again we're at the point where you might be better off waiting for the trade but all 4 issues are readily available still.


2. Secret Six #24 (DC) by Gail Simone , art: J. Caliafore

   This was a kick your feet up and have a good ol time issue. The last two SS issues have been stand alones , great opportunity to jump on for noobs , well not really but they havent begun an epic arc or anything is what I meant. An alternate universe look at the Secret Six if they were in the wild west. This isnt a time travel thing , its a "what if" type of alternate universe thing. It feels like Gail Simone is using the characters like a play group and doing different skits for these filler issues. I really loved the ending , if you know me , endings like this win me over like a fat chick giving hand jobs.

Im sticking around?: Yes , this is still DC's best kept secret , excuse the pun.

Does this make the $10 pull: Its a strong contender for sure.

price/value: 2.99 .. I had a blast with this issue , a solid single issue buy at $3.


3. S.H.I.E.L.D. #3 (Marvel) by Jonathan Hickman , art: dustin Weaver

    This might be Marvel's best kept secret in their line up. S.H.I.E.L.D. has been a pleasant surprise so far , it was completely nothing like I thought it was going to be when I first picked up #1. This is a deeper book than your normal superhero book , in fact I would say this is the smartest super hero book you'll read this year. You'll need to remain sober when reading this. Here's an official summary...

The main story of the first issue is set in 1953, when S.H.I.E.L.D. agents Nathaniel Richards and Howard Stark enlist a young man named Leonid with unspecified superpowers into the organization, taking him to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s High Council in the Immortal City under Rome. The High Council reveal that they know "the final fate of Man", and their mission is to ensure nothing threatens the world before this occurs. They have chosen Leonid because he has a destiny
      The lead character Leonid meets with fricken time travelling Leonardi Da Vinci , with flashbacks show other founding members of SHIELD like Imhotep , Isaac Newton , battling the likes of Galactus and Appocolypse. Doc Brown will need to sit down for this series... its a must read. Even if you dont like it , its one of those you have to see for yourself kind of deals.

Am I sticking around ?: Yes , its one of the few Marvel titles that survived my purge.

Does this make my $10 pull: Another strong contender , I would have tough decisions to make.

price/value: 2.99.. easily one of Marvel's best buys in their line up. A $3 book that feels deeper and more elaborant than most of the $4 books they carry.


4. Mindfield #0-2 (Aspen) by JT Krul , art: Alex Konat , Saleem Crawford

Premise: The CIA has a new agency for national security.. telepathic cops or "thought police" as they describe themselves. It focuses on two partnered agents,  Conner and Erika , and their journey on and off the job with their gifts.


me: Im absolutely enjoying this series. Its dictating its own pace , introducing all the players and devices that partake in this series , its setting the tone for hopefully a long on going series. Connor and Erika and their new team are fairly likeable as they'll earn some sympathy from you... but on duty thoguh both are telepaths  Connor is the thinker and Erika is the muscle. Its not blowing the pages off the book but its keeping me glued page for page.

Will I continue?: Yes indeed.

Price/value: 2.99.. good value. Full 30+ pages of Mindfield.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot