Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Movie Review: Spider Man 3

I finally saw it. I hated the hype so I waited 2 years later to watch it. Not worth the wait.

What I liked: Jonah Jaimeson , Elizabeh Banks as Ms. Brant , ... thats about it.

What I disliked: Everything. From the run on 5 minute introduction that annoyed me caz I are half my popcorn just watching opening credits. WHy the fuck do they have opening credits , thats what the closing credits are for you morons.

I hated the overall mashed pile of story plots all stickied together for a 2 hour flick. Two of the three bad guys deserve their own movies.. the third could've been just a opening cameo caz he's not really that interesting (Sandman).

Harry who takes on the persona of the Goblin. Didnt like the costume design , you couldnt even tell he was suppose to be the goblin. Shoudl've had the mask. That was an important story dont you think? Harry looking to avenge his father's death on his best friend Peter Parker whom he happens ot know is Spider Man!!! toss in Mary Jane and you have Spider Man 3 stand alone.

Venom is also deserving of a Spidey Villian movie to himself. The whole concept of Venom and taking over Parker , and taking over Brock for a final confrontation should've had its own movie to itself. Maybe they woudlnt have to dumb down Brock's "You humiliated me" reason to wreak havoc.. couldve been more intense and thwarting.

Sandman is part of the old school family of villians for Spidey. Aside from the long time sentimentality , they are one dimensional and somewhat aloof from intriging. Rhino , Scorpion , Vulture , Sandman , Electro , Mysterio , ...etc There's so many. The writing would have to be really good to make these old schoolers work.. unfrotunately it didnt work here for Sandman.

Mary Jane might be one of my most disliked leading ladies. SOmething about this character that bugs me.

They dumbed down Gwen Stacy , she's actually a prominant fixture in Parker's life. She takes over for a long time as Parker's love interest , not just one half date. Something they should've considered if whats her face doesnt return for Mary Jane's role.. the girlfriend in superhero movies are replaceable. Except Lois Lane perhaps.

Betty Brant is smoking hot. I love Elizabeth Banks.

Plots:

Harry wants revenge on Parker.

Peter and Mary Jane fight and bicker.

Sandman wants to find a cure ofr his daughter and Parker wants to avenge his uncle's death on him.

Venom takes over Parker , then Brock , then dies? a living speace being that never gets explored. Venom is suppome to hitch back on Mar Jane's fiancee from SM2 from one of his space trips. Thats how Venom gets introduced to earth.


Bad News: I hate this movie and what it did to the series. It stinks.

Good News: Its fixable. Spider Man 4 must redeem itself with a simplistic yet in depth story line and more focus on the main characters.

I hate you Spider Man 3.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot