Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

New Comic Book Day : 11/3/10

Im cutting back on my floppies ( its what the kids are calling comic books these days) and focusing on Trades. The only draw back in trades is they're usually 2-3 months behind the comic book run so you have to avoid spoiler talks. I've been currently doing it with The Walking Dead so its not that bad. I do plan on pulling a few titles still. Benefits are too overwhelming to buy trades instread..cheaper , easier to re-read and store .. thats all.

I plan on keeping for on going:
Chew ..100% Ill be pulling this til the end.
Hack Slash ..I would like to but I can see myself just waiting for the trades.
I Zombie .. I plan on pulling to #10 at the least.. dependant on the direction of the series.
Mindfield .. I want to pull at least 2 more issues maybe 3.
Sixth Gun.. just learned this is an on going series now. Im still contemplating this one.. I might just buy the trades on this one.

Then Im finishing up some mini series (where Im at now/total in series)
Whispers in the Walls (3/6)
Turf (3/5)
Neonomicon (2/4)
Mystery Society (4/5)

------------------
maybes.. when the mini series run out I might subscribe back to these titles caz I enjoy them lots.
Morning Glories .. 2-3 more issues.
Black Widow .. 3 more issues.








Today's Pull

1. I Zombie #7(vertigo) by C. Roberson , art: M. Allred                                                                           

   This was probaly the best of the series thus far. The overall production and direction was very good , it had good pacing and the stories moved along nicely.

   The plot: Bodies have been stolen from the morgue therefore there havent been many burials which means Gewyn hasnt been eating and she's starting to zombiefy caz if she doesnt eat one brain a month she will lose her conscienceness and become a souless , mindless zombie.

    The agents are still hunting the vampire girls whom they think they have trapped but find the tables have been turned.

   There's a few things going but its all finally starting to pick up in pace and we're starting to see some real payoffs from the first 6 issues. Just when I thought I might drop the title , it ends with a real good cliffhanger and now I wanna see what happens.


2. Mystery Society #4(idw) by Steve Niles , art; Fiona Staples                                                               
       This was a good issue , Fiona Staple's art alone is worth the look. Its such a crisp looking comic. For me I found the main story line a little contrive and dry to be honest , Im really digging the secondary plot with Secret Skull and Verne the robot. The quest for Edgar Allen Poe's skull was intriguing , exciting , funny , .. it was compelling in general. Overall in general I still like the concept of this comic , this looks like its going to be a series of shorts via Locke and Key.


Whats Next for my Graphic Novel/comic Blog? Ill be reviewing Trades and collected hardcovers mainly. Of course floppies still just wont be as many as before. and of course comic related movies and shows.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot