Gord's Comic/Graphic Novel Blog

Reviews of graphic novels and comics

Friday, February 12, 2010

Olympic Opening Ceremony

Ok its finally here... firstly I saw the flame yesterday by Central Park.


So I have been really curious to see what they would do overall in this show. I have to say I was pleasantly suprised how good they made BC Place look. I didnt even recognize it on tv. Looked really good.

RIght off the bat a little mess up , they pan the camera onto the executive box for a spotlight and everybody is scrambling like we just caught them smoking dope and making out or something. Apparently they werent ready caz the chiefs werent there yet.. I dunno , small blunder.

I was bleh with the Oh Canada rendition. I forgot the singers name , didnt recognize her.

First part was the 1st nations portion , they introduced the 4 nations historical cultural significance to the northwest and a bitch slap to our school systems to teach more of 1st nations local history and culture. Good.

Then the countries march in. Very emotional to see Georgia walk in as they lost one of their athletes earlier in the day to a horrific accident on the luge run. Canada marched in last and erupted the place with a big team projected to cotend. So many drop dead gorgeous girls competing .. I was just a pervert seeing these women.

Then back to the entertainment portion with Nelly Furtado and Bryan Adams kicking off the second half of the show. Bryan Adams screwed up via Ashley Simpson style and didnt have the mic to his mouth while he was "singing". They sang 'Bang the Drum'..Nelly Furtado looked great , I want to boik that body. She's way sexier with her curvy women body than her skinny little girl body.

Next part was really cool , hologram of Orca whales swam through the stadium. They broke into a dance about nature , trees and wildlife with Sarah Mclachlin sining " just another miracle". She too looks so damn sexy. Gawd she's amazing.

Then a portion of keltic crap.. some tap river dance and fiddling. Ashley whats his name performed. Not my kettle but I enjoyed the show regardless.

Then they went into a story about a girl ' Who has seen the wind' WL Mitchell , I thought maybe it was the story of Emily Carr but it was a Disney like production of a girl floating around and discovering the beauty of wheat and hay. Accompanied by some canned jazz.

They then erected the mountains to George Vancouver with hovering skiers and snow boarders. Generic music playing... they could've used a little Corey Hart imo but thats just me.

A poem by some dude about what defines Canada. Pretty good.

THen boring speeches from Furlong and IOC declaring the games officially open

Then KD Lang rises by her lonesome singing a tune that I dont recognize but it was a sombering song. It goes with the pacing I guess you cant have 2 hours of screaming madness , you need some down spots.

The Olympic flag carried in by Donald Sutherland , Betty Fox , Jaq Villineuve , Anne Murray , Bobby Orr ,... the offical Olympic hym sung by opera singer. Nice tune.

1 minute of silence in honour of Georgian Athlete.

Hayley Wickenheiser takes olympic oath , then french singer sings french song I dont recognize. ANother sombering tune.

Torch arrive Rick Hansen > Catrin aLemay Doan> Steve Nash> Nancy Greene > Wayne Gretzky,, long awkward pause caz technical problems with hydrolic system. SO long they looped the music. Embarrasking.

Gretzky takes torch to the outdoor cauldron afterwards....

Overall it was a good opening ceremony . I cant say it was the best ever nor was I blown out by any portion , the final lighting screw up really hurt , it was a nice idea though. The pacing was a little off , more slow moments than "moving" , not enough crowd pops. Some problems at the end , the rain for the outdoor shots didnt help but considering it was a first indoor show.. it was good.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
My name is Gord and I blog comic and graphic novel reviews for Horror Happy Hour. Im just a passionate fanboy since the glorious 80s. Im not a writer as you can tell with my butchering of the engrish language just love geeking it up with comics. Horror Happy Hour is a devoted group of horror enthusiasts started on Facebook , website to come.. and I do the comics commentary. Woot woot